Sunday, October 31, 2010

A familiar city, Guangzhou tourism prospers

I giddily explored not just the cities around China for a year, but many throughout Southeast Asia. One of my more favorite cities was Guangzhou, just north of the city I lived for a year, Shenzhen. Guangzhou had it's special charm, partly because it provided just about everything else Shenzhen didn't.

I came across news recently about the city increasing in tourism and recreational activities. One particular is the new Asian Para Games. It is a multi-sport event held every four years after every Asian Games for athletes with physical disabilities. The city is also building a new convention center for this purpose.

Not only that, but the city is also specifically building a recreational park that caters to the high tech industry. In that park will feature numerous Internet cafes and electronic stores that focus heavily on gaming. Best Buy may even make an appearance in the next few years... it already has a store in Beijing and Shanghai.

I'm not only happy to see that a city I enjoyed visiting frequently is doing so well, but that it is pushing China's frontier in electronics and gaming, not to mention good social policies. I can't wait to revisit in the next few years and participate in one of the inevitable gaming tournaments that will surely sprout up!

No comments:

Post a Comment